Thursday 8 April 2021

"Beat Sinister" Virtual 100km

Sinister Sports organises three awesome races every year - Sinister Seven, Canadian Death Race, and Black Spur Ultra - and despite races being cancelled in these Covid times, they have done an amazing job in offering a range of virtual events throughout the year to help with motivation for runners where needed.

As mentioned previously, my initial plan was to run the 6 hour event at Hill of a Race, but with that having fallen foul of the ongoing pandemic, I switched my sights to the Beat Sinister virtual event. 

The idea behind this event is to choose one of 5 distances ranging from 10k up to the full 100k, with the aim of "beating" the carefully selected "agents". Despite "Agent K" setting an outstanding time of 8 hours 40 minutes for the 100km distance, I still decided that I wanted to give the 100k a try - it's been a few years since I did exactly 100k, and I thought it would be a good benchmark to see where I'm at fitness wise, as I prepare for my 24-hour track race in the summer.

Being a virtual event, we could once again run wherever we liked. I decided to stay local and opted to run loops around the local Telford Lake - each loop was around 10km, there were a couple of parking lots on each lap which meant easier access for my support crew, and it also meant that friends living nearby could join me for a lap or two throughout the day.

I started my run at 7am on Easter Sunday, and although I'd had some tightness in my glutes the past week or so, I was still feeling pretty good. I knew I wasn't in proper race shape, and I knew that I wasn't as fit as I was this time last year when I ran a good 50 miler during April, but I was still hopeful and indeed confident, that I could run something between 9 and a half to 10 hours.


The morning started cool and it felt like conditions were perfect for running, and over the first 5km or so, I got into a nice, steady rhythm and was feeling relaxed. Although a paved trail, the route around Telford Lake is quite pretty and whilst not exactly hilly, there are some rollers that started to feel more like mountains as the day progressed. I was really enjoying the run, but as I crossed the bridge at the top end and started my return to the transition area, the wind hit me full force and literally took my breath away! I hadn't noticed how bad it really was on the opposite side, but now I was having to lean into the gusts as they buffeted me back and forth. It was hard work, and I slowed my pace slightly to save some energy. The flag by the Peace Park was flapping about violently as I passed, and the tree tops leaned considerably as the wind whipped them back and forth.

I always say that I can handle any kind of weather EXCEPT for windy conditions, and although I was only on my first loop of the lake, I really wasn't looking forward to fighting the conditions later on, when I knew I would be far more tired.

I completed my first lap in just over 56 minutes, bang on target with what I wanted, but it had felt much harder than it should have done, having spent the best part of 20 minutes running into a headwind. 

Heading out onto loop 2, I felt much more prepared for what was to come, but 10 minutes into that lap, I started to feel quite chilled on my back, and couldn't understand why. I had been warm but not sweating, and yet it felt like my shirt was wet. I reached behind and gave it a tug, and sure enough, it was sopping wet and liquid was dripping on to my now wet shorts. What the heck?! I tried to ignore it, but the dampness really started to bother me and I really was starting to get cold from the wind, so when I hit some shelter, I stopped to check out the problem. 

It appeared that my water bladder in my backpack had split at the seams, and all the Tailwind I was carrying was now trickling over my clothing and leaving a wet trail of fluids behind me on the pathway. I was so pissed off! I'd bought a new hose and mouthpiece the day before as I didn't think two soft bottles would be enough, and STILL these fricking bladders were giving me grief! I tightened things a little, thinking maybe the hose hadn't been attached properly, but as I started running again, the fluids really were flowing out now so I stopped yet again to empty the entire thing. There was no way I was going to carry all that extra weight and tolerate being soaking wet at the same time! I called Andy to come meet me at the dog park with warm, dry clothes and more fluids, but when he didn't answer after three attempts, I gave up and was even more pissed off. I'd already lost 5 or 10 minutes faffing around and that sub 10 hour goal was starting to slip away after less than two hours of running!

Fortunately, Andy did pick up my message, and half an hour later, I was sitting in the car changing out of wet clothes into something warmer. I left the bladder behind and resorted to the soft bottles - I should have just taken them anyway!!!

Lap 2 understandably took me much longer, and I was so annoyed as I set off on lap 3 almost 20 minutes behind schedule. Physically I was feeling great, but the drama with my backpack and the relentless wind did nothing for me mentally and I was so wound up!

I did get back into my groove, and as I finished lap 2, I had clawed back a couple of minutes - maybe I could claw back some more over the remaining laps? I doubted it, as I knew for certain I would end up slowing down in the later stages as the fatigue started to set in.

I had been fuelling really well too and so far, had been keeping my energy levels up by taking regular swigs of Tailwind and using energy gels. I took a few jelly beans and salted nuts, and I ate a banana and half a protein bar later on, but for the majority of the race, I stuck to fluids including 3 protein shakes, and this appeared to keep the sickness at bay, yet kept me energised at the same time.

The next few laps brought some well appreciated company as friends started to join me for the run. First off was Dave who has been an acquaintance through Strava and FB, but I had never actually met him despite living in a nearby town. It was great to finally meet, have a chat, and get to know each other a little better. He also helped to get me back on track as we knocked out a good, strong but steady pace, and that 10k went so quickly, I couldn't believe that 30k was now already in the bag.

Lap 4 and 5 were amazing as I was joined by two more very good friends - Jessica and Barbara. We chatted, we laughed, I moaned and swore lots about the wind, but spirits were high and we maintained great progress. We celebrated the half way point which I passed in just over 5 hours - that's when I knew that my finish time would be closer to the 10 hours 30 minutes as I usually lose a half hour in the second half of a 100k run.

As I hit the 60km mark, I was joined for the next two laps by good friend Pawel, and once again ,there was constant chatter which helped to take my mind off the running and the miles just passed me by. I was still fuelling well but the fatigue was certainly starting to set in, but the good news is that despite walking some sections, I really did not walk as much as I thought I would and on reflection, I'm really happy with that.

My husband Andy had been so good, meeting me at different parking lots around the lake to make sure I had everything I needed, and it was always so good to see him and the pups as I passed by having taken everything I needed.

After 80km, I was left alone and I set off on my first solo lap after what seemed like a few hours. It felt strange being on my own all of a sudden, and I suddenly became more aware of the heavy footfall on my tired legs, my rather laboured breathing, and the realisation of just how tired I was now starting to feel. With just two laps to go though, I knew all would be good and even if it took me another 2 or 3 hours, I knew that I was going to finish.

As I closed in on the final lap, another friend - Julie - messaged to say she was on her way over and would be joining me on her bike. Whilst I had enjoyed having some solo time to regather my thoughts and refocus on finishing this race, I was also very happy that I would be having some company for the last 10k. The timing was perfect, and having decided to leave my backpack with Andy on that final lap, Julie happily carried some fluids for me so I could at least stay hydrated, but I didn't have to carry all that weight. My back, neck and shoulders were starting to get tired, and I was so glad of the break!

The weather hadn't been too bad for most of the day - windy yes, but a mix of sunshine and cloud had meant no sunburn and no issues about overheating. But as we came into the last couple of km, the clouds that had been bubbling up over the past half hour or so decided to finally release their wrath, and we got caught quite the hail storm with just one mile to go. Things went crazy wild whilst I just put my had down and battled away, and some 5 or 10 minutes later, I finally crossed my finish line - 10 hours , 33 minutes and 20 seconds, and 100.15 km on my watch.

I was so happy and relieved to finally be done - the hunger was setting in, and all I wanted was a nice hot cup of tea.

As suspected, the 100km distance didn't quite give me the full 10 laps of the lake, so having hopped in the car, we headed back to Telford House where it had all started earlier in the day, just to take that finish photo. As I hobbled over to the boardwalk, I spotted a few friends who had ran with me earlier, and they had been awaiting my arrival at the finish. I felt a little bad that they had been there to surprise me but I'd completed the distance a mile or so further up the pathway, so we did a second finish where I was greeted with the cheers and celebrations of others - I felt humbled and so honoured to have these people as my friends, and it ended my race perfectly.

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last, You can still say, "I have finished." There is a lot of satisfaction in that."



No comments:

Post a Comment