Saturday 6 February 2021

Time Trials and Other Things - A Brief Catchup

Running so far this year has been going great, and I'm really happy with how my training and fitness is progressing. I've not been doing high mileage per se and have just been topping out at around 50 or so miles per week, but my pace has started to improve again which makes me happy.

Of course, gyms are still closed here in Alberta, and with my treadmill still in pieces and waiting to be fixed in the basement, it means I have to get outside for all my runs.

I much prefer to run outdoors anyway, but winters can be tough for us runners, especially when there's a heavy dump of snow or we face extreme cold. The winter weather usually means wearing more layers which can weigh you down, whilst breathing in the cold air plays havoc with the lungs sometimes, and don't even mention the running in deep snow or dancing on ice!

Last weekend, I did have 2 x 10- mile time trials to complete on Saturday and Sunday, the idea being to run the same route both days and try to run a little quicker on the Sunday.

I always get nervous doing time trials. It's not like they're a race, yet it feels like I have to run hard to get the result I want. But I was curious to see how I got on as it would be a good benchmark to work on moving forwards.

It was cold last weekend with temperatures around -15, but thankfully there was no snow, no crazy winds, and conditions were actually pretty good for running.

I really wanted to get under 80 minutes on both days, and when I started my run on Saturday, my first couple of miles came in at around 7.30 miling which felt pretty comfortable. But I was starting to get too warm having worn too many layers, and not knowing how much ice would be on the pavements, I'd worn trail shoes which wasn't the wisest choice as I found them feeling clunky the further I ran. Add to that the urge to slow the pace on the hills, I ended up finishing the 10 miles in a satisfying 1.18 - an average pace of 7.51 miling which was the quickest pace I'd ran for that distance in a while.

Day 1 - Saturday time trial

Needless to say, going into Sunday's session, I felt even more nervous and had put some pressure on myself. I had to push harder today, and I set a goal of 7.45 miling which would put me a minute quicker than the previous day - I'd be happy with that.

I'd also decided to wear less layers on the Sunday and had switched to road shoes - boy did that make a difference!

Interestingly, the first 2 or 3 mile splits were pretty consistent despite being a little slower than the previous day, and my half way split already had me one minute faster. I was very surprised but obviously happy, and tried to focus on keeping that momentum going for the final half. It felt even easier today, and I really did seem to be gliding along, whilst the climbs didn't feel quite as bad. I felt strong but was convinced the wheels would come off anytime soon, yet my body just seemed to want to keep going.

I ended up finishing day 2 in a shade over 76 minutes - 2 minutes 20 seconds quicker with an average pace of 7.37. It was a far cry from my 10-mile PR which saw me break the hour back in 2005, but it was none the less very satisfying, and it certainly boosted my confidence.

Day 2 - Sunday time trial

This past couple of days, the Polar Vortex finally arrived, so it's turned even colder with wind chills in the -30s. With having goals for races this year - assuming they still go ahead of course - I'm keen not to lose the momentum, so today I headed out once again for a long 3 hour run. This time my pace was much slower than target, but I was ok with that given just how cold it really was. I managed 32km or 20 miles, I finished feeling pretty good, and with my first race of the year coming up next weekend, I'm going into it feeling optimistic of a decent run.

Polar Vortex ... 32km run in -32 degrees celsius :)

In other news, as a runner, I'm very happy to have been selected as an ambassador for two great companies for 2021.

The first I mentioned in a previous post, as I joined Team HoldTheCarbs, a Canadian company owned by Hungarian National Triathlon Champion and fellow Team Canada team mate, Viktoria Brown. More about HoldTheCarbs can be found on their website which can be found here.

The other company that I am proud to represent this year is locally owned and based in Edmonton. This company is Earthgroove Activewear, whose mission is "to be a part of community and to make a positive impact on all those around us." Not only is their active wear unique, bold and vibrant, the sale of some of their products also raises vital funds for mental health services in the local community, which is something I fully support. More information on this amazing company and the work they do can be found on their website which you can find here.

Unfortunately, I am still trying to find employment, and despite applying for almost 30 jobs now, none of my attempts have borne any fruit. I'm trying to remain upbeat and positive which isn't always easy, and I'm keeping myself busy learning about video editing for the purposes of building my YouTube channel - Del's Jogs with Dogs, in between applying for jobs, running, walking the pups, and researching the possibility of becoming self-employed in the spring if I'm still unable to find work with another company. Some days I get a little overwhelmed with how much I am trying to cram into my days, but I would much rather feel busy and be productive than mope around feeling sorry for myself.

So yes, January and the first half of February has been good all things considered, and I'm hopeful that things will get better. I have my race next weekend to look forward to, I have some mountain time to look forward to, but more importantly, it is Family Day weekend next week, and I am looking forward to spending some time with Andy and the pups and doing things we enjoy as a family.

Happy running folks, and stay safe - see you next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment