Sunday 27 May 2018

Blackfoot Ultra 50-Miler - the Longer Version

Back in January, I was selected to represent Great Britain at the European 24 Hour Championships but about a month later, we found out that we would be making the move back to Canada. Having already done 2 international moves, I was well aware of the stress and chaos that accompanied these things and by the end of March, I had made the decision to withdraw from the GB team. I just felt that I wouldn't be able to give running my full attention which meant I wouldn't be at my best for an international race.

Although I had withdrawn from the team, I still wanted to do an ultra around about the same time as I needed a focus to ensure my running didn't take much of a back seat. I knew that the Blackfoot Ultra took place in May and being the same weekend as the Europeans, it fitted perfectly with my plans - I could still follow the same schedule but without the same pressure, and it really didn't matter if I missed some of my key sessions as I would be competing for myself rather than my country.

It took a couple of weeks to get settled in Leduc what with waiting for our belongings to arrive and then unpacking, but I was still getting out for runs and I was getting quicker. The only problem was that most of my runs were on pavement or gravel range roads, and being surrounded by farmland, the biggest hill within a 10 mile radius of home was probably just 100 metres long. I did manage to get out to the River Valley in Edmonton to find some climbs and proper trails, but race day was fast approaching and the benefits would likely come too late. I'd also been having trouble with my glutes thanks to spending 4 days in a car whilst making the drive north, and with Andy not being available to help me unpack, I'd done a lot of mauling and lifting on my own which only added to the tightness in my back, hips and glutes.

Needless to say, although the fitness was there, I probably wasn't in the best shape for an undulating trail race on forest trails and I really had no idea how the race would pan out.

This year, the Blackfoot Ultra hosted the both the Canadian 100km and 50 mile championships and the rumours were that some pretty speedy and experienced ultra runners registered for the event. I was unable to locate a list of entrants so had no idea what the ladies competition would be like but it really didn't matter - my main goal was to just run under 8 hours.

The venue for the race was at Cooking Lake which was just under an hour's drive from home. Thankfully Andy was able to make the journey back to crew me and look after the dogs whilst I was racing, but that wasn't without drama as he arrived late Friday night only to fly out again late Saturday so I barely had chance to hold a conversation with him! The good news is that even if Andy had not been available, there were so many good friends out there that I never felt alone, and I have to say a special thanks to Brayden, Dennene and Dave for their encouragement throughout the day :-)

The 50 miler consisted of 3 x 25k loops with a 5k out and back section at the start to make sure we did the full distance. Ailsa MacDonald was doing the 50 miler and I knew that without even trying, she would finish miles ahead of me. Unfortunately, she made the decision to drop from the race after the first lap for personal reasons, and being just a month out from Western States, she certainly has bigger fish to fry!

The day started warm, sunny and breezy and temperatures were expected to hit around 25 degrees which would make things pretty warm. The bugs were also biting quite ferociously and the buzzing of mosquitoes would drive you crazy if you didn't keep moving. 

Good to see old friends!
Olivia finished her first
50 miler today :-)
PC: Oliva
From the get-go, I was lying in second place behind Ailsa and was running comfortably. Earlier in the week, Tillie had decided to chew my watch so I was unable to use it during the race. I had no idea what my pace was so I was running to feel, trying to keep my breathing under control. Each time we hit a climb, I would ensure that I maintained the effort even it meant just jogging but the strategy seemed to be working as I kept overtaking folks that had set off too quickly and were having to walk the hills, particularly later on in the race.

I ran the entire first lap non-stop and was feeling great as I came in to the aid station at the start/finish area. It was here that I was told Ailsa had dropped and that I was now leading the race. I knew the second place lady was only a couple of minutes behind and there was still 35 miles to go - it would be tough to keep pushing and feel confident of holding on to the lead, so I tried not to think about it too much, the plan being to just run the second lap like I had the first.

I grabbed some pizza, tomato and a fruit cup, refilled by bladder and set off on loop 2, just as the second lady was running in to finish her first lap. 

The weather in Alberta has been pretty hot for the past couple of weeks which meant that the trails were extremely dry and great for running on. The course wound through the forest which was lush and green, and every so often we would enter an opening that gave wonderful views of some of the many surrounding lakes. I was looking out for moose and other wildlife, but I saw nothing all day and all I heard was the buzzing of mosquitoes and the singing of the birds.

I'd subconsciously made a mental note of landmarks along the course - a woodpile here, a wooden shed there, a fallen tree just over the bridge. This really helped me to get around and gauge how much further I needed to go, how to pace myself. By now, I had started catching some of the runners from the other distances and it really helped to have somebody ahead to focus on and attempt to catch. At one point Dave Proctor caught me and we had a little chat as we ran along which helped to pass some of the time and it was great to see him looking so fit and strong.

There was a rolling dirt road section and even those hills didn't seem too daunting. Many folks were walking them and yet I was still jogging up them and gaining ground. My glutes were feeling a little tight and I could feel a blister forming on my little toe, but in general I was feeling pretty good. I'd been drinking Tailwind but was getting to the point where I needed just plain water, and I was also starting to feel hungry. Pushing onwards, I knew it wouldn't be long until I finished the loop and would start out on my third and final one.

As I finished my 2nd lap, I was still in the lead which was a huge relief but there was still 15 miles to go where anything could happen. As I came into the aid station, Andy wasn't there and I was a little frustrated. I had told him that I would hopefully complete each loop in 2 and a half hours and so far I was pretty much on time. But there was no use getting angry as it would use valuable energy, so I ate what I could, refilled my bladder with plain water as quickly and efficiently as I could, and then set off.

This time, the second lady was a little further down the trail and she was looking a little more tired than the previous lap. We both acknowledged each other gave some encouragement, knowing that now the race really was on.

The third loop was not surprisingly the toughest for me. The landmarks that had really helped now seemed too far apart, the guy with the bear bell was driving me nuts and I ready to throw the guy with the bouncy backpack in the next lake if he didn't either go past me, or stop using me as his pacer. A lady from New Zealand tried to talk to me and I quite rudely told her not to speak to me as I needed to concentrate and didn't want the distraction ( I did apologise to her afterwards), and the guy with the funny stride was making me feel tired just watching him. 

I had no idea how far ahead I was by now but I wanted that win. The hills were becoming mountains and the jog was becoming a shuffle. I would start to walk but then get angry at myself and force myself to run. I probably didn't drink enough on that last lap and I could feel my quads starting to cramp a little. The blister on my little toe was getting worse particularly when running down the hills, and my glutes were now so tight that I couldn't stride out properly.

To add to all the discomfort, at around 41 miles I stopped suddenly and had to throw up. I hadn't felt sick so it was somewhat unexpected, but once I'd finished, I felt tons better and was able to pick up the pace a little.

I'd now started to use the aid stations as I needed the calories but at the final aid station with about 5km still to go, I took a cup of coke which made me burp and with the burp came what little food still remained in my belly. This aid station was next to the equestrian area and I'm sure I startled the poor horses with the noise I was making as my body dry heaved and tried to bring up what little was left in there.

Those last couple of miles were hard work and I was convinced I had wasted so much time being sick that any time now, the chasing lady would come breezing around the corner with a big smile on her face and pass me. Fair play to her if she, but I really didn't want that. I very rarely look behind me in a race, but I may as well have ran backwards for the amount of times I turned around in those closing miles! It seemed to take forever, but finally I could hear the hustle and bustle at the finish line and a few minutes later,  I was running up the final hill into the finish.

I had somehow managed to hold on to the win and even more satisfying was that I had ran 7 hours 51 minutes which I was extremely happy about. I really couldn't have asked for more.

Almost finished!
Of course, being British I wasn't eligible for the Canadian Championships and for me, the most memorable thing was seeing the complete look of joy from the second placed lady when she was crowned the national champ - that really was priceless. I was happy, she was ecstatic and the third placed lady was also extremely happy to make the podium.

Top 3 Ladies, and all VERY happy :-)
For me personally, the result was a good indicator as to where I am fitness wise right now. I never thought I would run a "fast" 50 miler again, especially given that I haven't done hills in almost two months, so it makes my finishing time even more satisfying. I also know why I was sick. I usually graze during races to keep my energy levels up, but with not having a drop bag and not wanting to carry a ton of food, I crammed in what I could at the end of each loop and my body simply couldn't digest the food quick enough whilst also allowing me to maintain the effort of racing. The coke - well, there's a reason they say use flat coke!

Otherwise I don't think I could have done anything differently either during my build up or during the race, and I'm happy with that.

My next race at the moment will be Iron Legs 50 Miler in August. I've done Iron Legs before and I know the course and know what to expect. There is A LOT of climbing so I really need to get out to the mountains as well as head to Edmonton river valley to get some climbing in, and I need to do strength work that will strengthen my climbing muscles. I also need to start yoga as this old body really isn't as flexible as it used to be, whilst finding a good sports therapist is crucial - I miss Mackenzie!

For now though, I'm enjoying my recovery and am planning a little camping trip with the pups within the next week or two with a couple of hikes thrown in, and yes, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks as ever to all of you for the support and encouragement .... until next time, happy trails to one and all :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment