Thursday 26 April 2018

Since I last wrote just over a week ago, things have already happened that have had an impact on our lives here in Leduc.

Firstly, last Monday we lost our little cat Khayman. Although he was an old man, his passing was unexpected and so sudden that I still haven't got my head around the fact that he isn't with us anymore. He'd been fine on the journey up from Phoenix and he appeared to have settled into the new house quite comfortably, but by late Sunday evening, he was very lethargic and just wasn't himself. By 2am he had passed over that rainbow bridge and the little cat died in my arms whilst I cried my heart out. I felt guilty that I couldn't do anything to help him, but I was grateful that I had been there with him and he wasn't alone at the end. I still wonder if there was something I could have done but the reality is that at almost 20 years of age, his little body had more than likely had enough and it was just his time to go. I'm happy he made it back to Canada with us, that he was there on that last road trip with Andy, me and the dogs, and I know for sure that every time we hit the road, we will always have very fond and lasting memories of that easy going little furry adventurer.

Khayman on the road

Khayman xx
Needless to say, I grieved for Khayman over the following days and it took a while to accept that he was no longer with us.

Thankfully the dogs are here to keep me focused and entertained and there's absolutely no doubt that they too are loving their new lives. Every walk consists of being dragged into the bushes to sniff at anything and everything, and now that the snow has melted and the dog park has huge pools of water, they are getting well and truly dirty and smelly and muddy, but having so much fun! Tillie has never experienced water like this before and she goes crazy running around and jumping about in it. She's also never experienced the joy and thrill of running off-leash through woodlands and she loves to chase Wilson and Brandy around the trees, jumping over fallen tree trunks and weaving in between the fallen branches.





For me, I really couldn't be happier. Actually that's a lie. Andy still hasn't joined us yet and will be based in Phoenix for the foreseeable future but when he does eventually move back north of the border, our lives will be complete.

But I really do love the new house and I really do like Leduc. The city itself has a small town feel to it and with a population of around just 32,000, it's the smallest city I have ever had the pleasure to live in. The rush hour lasts for around 10 to 20 minutes and even then, the traffic is bearable. You can get from one end of the city to the other in less than 10 minutes in the car, or you can run it in about half an hour. What else I love about being here is the number of parks and pathways, the number of trees, and all the lakes in the area. There is so much open space and I suspect that in the summer months, everything will be a beautiful lush green, whilst the autumn colours will no doubt be simply amazing!





Despite the small size of the city, I am still managing to find some really good running routes and I am enjoying my running and getting back into it. The good news is that whilst Leduc may be pretty flat, just a 30 minute drive north takes me to Edmonton and the river valley where there are endless trails to run on and plenty of hills if you want them.

Last weekend, I did just that as I'd entered a race at Gold Bar Park. 

The race was organised by the MEC and I'd done several of their races previously when living in Calgary. They are cheap, no frills type of races that can be fiercely competitive or extremely low key, but the organisation of them is still impressive.

Gold Bar Park and the MEC Trail Race Series
Although I was getting back into the routine of my daily runs again, I was feeling extremely achy and sore in the back and glutes due to all the lifting and mauling of boxes and furniture. I didn't have any expectations for the race - I just wanted to blow off the cobwebs to see how things went.

I had originally entered the 15k race, but due to the melting snow, the trails were either ankle deep mud, shin deep puddles, sheet ice, or slushy snow with ice underneath. The City of Edmonton revoked the race permit on the single track trails that were meant to form part of the course - the trails were in such a bad way and they were concerned about the damage that would be caused by a couple of hundred runners charging along there and churning things up. They did however agree to letting us use the double track forest trails with some of the drier single track being allowed where possible. The course was shortened to 10km consisting of 2 x 5km loops and whilst it wouldn't be as technical as they would have liked, it still provided some good, challenging climbs and dodging of tree stumps, whilst the tufts of marsh grass in some sections meant you needed to pick your feet up.

I really enjoyed the run despite feeling extremely tight and heavy legged and I felt like I had a good run to finish in around 53 minutes and averaging out at just over 8 minute miles. It really didn't feel like I was going that quick, so I was extremely happy given the course and conditions. I hung around for a while afterwards waiting for the results in a brisk and chilly wind but a lack of phone reception meant that the results couldn't be downloaded. With the race starting in waves 2 minutes apart, I have no idea where I finished but I know that despite the tightness in the legs and back, I should be ok for my 50 mile race at the end of May. I guess I really need to find a good, reliable sports massage person - where's Mackenzie when you need her?!

Freezing cold, muddy and wet - but that was tons of fun :-)

It's almost the weekend again and I'm looking forward to heading out to the trails this weekend. I'm also looking forward to Andy being here for a couple of days. He's been out in the field in Newfoundland and Labrador, but he should be finished and heading back to us for a few days. I know for sure we're all looking forward to seeing him. And then next weekend we are off to Canmore for the CanniCross event where Wilson, Brandy and Tillie all get to compete in a 4km trail race with 27 other dogs and humans. Our friend Glady will be running with Wilson, if Brandy's leg is ok, she will be competing with our good friend Michelle, whilst Tillie will be running with yours truly. It'll be great to be in the mountains and it'll be loads of fun getting to run with the dogs and spending some time with friends. 

After that, it will be just 3 weeks until the big one which I am somewhat nervous about but also pretty excited. I love trails, I love ultra running and I can't wait to get out there and see what I can do :-)










1 comment: