Monday 5 March 2018

Another Chapter is About to Begin ...

Wowzers! What a whirlwind this past couple of weeks have been but finally, at last, things have started to settle down a wee bit which is giving us chance to breathe.

After Black Canyon Ultras a couple of weeks ago, I alluded to the fact that there are going to be some changes over the coming months that would result in stressful times and changes to my race plans.

Back in January, I thought my racing year was pretty much set out with Zion 100k and Fat Dog 120 on the horizon. The former got knocked on the head when I had news I'd been selected to represent Great Britain at the European 24 hours champs in Romania at the end of May - they considered it too close for me to fully recover, and despite living in the desert for the past 3 years, they thought the heat would affect me too much. I wasn't concerned about the heat - I was more concerned as to whether 5 weeks would be enough time to recover from a tough 100k at altitude, but as instructed, I withdrew from the race and cancelled our accommodation as my focus switched firmly to the Euros.

Of course, even with the best laid plans, things still change. I'm no longer going to the Europeans and will instead be racing the Blackfoot 50 miler that same weekend which takes place close to Edmonton in Alberta, Canada. I'm also no longer planning on racing Fat Dog but will instead be doing Iron Legs 50 miler instead which will take me back to Kananaskis just outside of Calgary in Alberta. Both of these will be great preparation for my A race which this year will now be Javelina Jundred in October where my goal will be to run sub 19 hours.

Why the change when I've said previously how excited and happy I was to be selected to represent my country again at the age of 45?

Those that know me well will know that Canada holds a special place in my heart. It suits my personality and who I am - I love the country and I feel like I belong there. It really does feel like home.

Back in January when we headed back to Canada for a short visit, it made me realise how much I'd missed the mountains, how much I'd missed the snow and the change in seasons, the green of the pine trees even in winter, the feeling of being in the wilderness, of being outdoors in the fresh, clean air. I felt like I was home again and I couldn't stop smiling the whole time we were there.

Fast forward 6 weeks and we've finally had it confirmed that we are home owners again having purchased a property in Leduc, just south of Edmonton in Alberta. We take possession in April which means we are once again packing up our belongings ready for our move back north. The move will happen at a crucial time in my training program for the 24 hour race, and having thought long and hard about it, I decided to withdraw from the GB team simply because I think the move will have a huge impact on my running. Having already relocated twice in the past 6 years, I felt that I would be unable to give the GB team my full attention. There is so much to plan and then we have to settle in our new home - having to.plan for a trip to Europe at the same time would only add to the already high stress levels and it was something I didn't want. 

Of course I'm sad to no longer be going to Romania and I feel like I'm letting the team down, but I know it's the right thing. When I represent Great Britain i want to be at my very best with no distractions- the timing is wrong right now, but I know I can qualify once again and I know there will be other opportunities to put my name forward - maybe next year I'll be on the team at the worlds instead.

There is no denying that I'm extremely excited to be heading back to Canada but I'm very sad to be leaving Phoenix. I've met so many amazing people here and I'm going to miss them. This morning I ran with the AZ Traileggers and despite not seeing them in a while, it didn't feel awkward and I was made to feel very welcome. And then this afternoon we headed to the dog park like we do every day and it once again made me realise how many friends we have here. We have done so much in our short 2 1/2 years in Phoenix and have so many memories that we'll treasure forever. We have absolutely no regrets about our time here,and of course, we leave with another little dog in tow after Tillie joined our family almost a year ago.


Fun with the AZ Traileggers this morning - friends for life and always
made me feel welcome :-) (PC: Jon Cristley)


Happy family ready to move back north - Smudge the cat was home asleep,
but he'll be coming with us :-)
There are still some things on my bucket list before we leave including a trip up Camelback Mountain and a climb to the summit of Humphreys Peak. I'm not the type of person for big leaving do's but if anybody wants to join me on a Camelback hike and lead the way, or if they fancy heading up Humphreys with me and the pups in the next couple of weeks - weather permitting of course - I really would enjoy that.

I do have plans to run Mesquite Canyon in a couple of weeks and I will be back in Arizona for Javelina Jundred in the fall, but if I don't see you there and I have no takers for the hikes mentioned above, please stay in touch and continue to share your adventures and achievements - I love to see how folks are getting on. And of course I will continue to bombard you with pictures of our pups and sharing my running adventures as we begin another chapter in our lives up in Alberta.

No comments:

Post a Comment