Saturday 5 September 2015

Taking a Gamble ;-)

A week or so ago, after 3 or 4 months of waiting, we were finally given a move date for Phoenix and I have to say that I'm getting pretty excited about the move, despite leaving behind some good friends that I have met here in Calgary over the past couple of years. The date we've been given is September 18th, and I can't believe that in just 2 weeks time, we will be heading southwards to start yet another chapter in our lives.

Obviously the news about us moving has been in the public domain for a while now, but I still find it interesting how other people perceive things. I was recently in contact with an old friend from the UK who commented that things in their life "evolve" rather than being "upheavals" in reference to our move, and it seemed they almost felt sorry for me having been in Calgary on my own since May, saying that I must have been "lonely" over the past few months. 

I guess that's where folks are different with their outlook on life. Andy and I have always been spontaneous, living in the here and now and seizing opportunities, and having already moved across the Atlantic nearly 4 years ago, we don't consider the move as an upheaval but rather  an adventure. We both thrive on change rather than routine - taking a risk and stepping out of our comfort zone in to the unknown - and whilst I have missed sharing things with Andy in recent months, I've had an awesome summer withs lots of amazing mountain runs, hikes and camping trips both alone or with Wilson and Brandy, and with friends.

Even looking back on the past couple of weeks since Andy flew back to Phoenix, I've been getting out and about, trying to make the most of my time before the move and taking advantage of the beautiful weather.

After the TransRockies Run, I had a good rest and with barely any running in my schedule, it left lots of time for getting out and about with Wilson and Brandy. We've done lots of amazing walks again in recent weeks and having had a little bit of snow in the mountains back in August, we headed up Prairie Mountain again in the hope of finding some at the top. It was a really warm day and between us we easily got through the 3 litres of water I had taken with us. Thankfully there were still a few patches of snow on the summit, and Wilson and Brandy wasted no time in having a good roll around in it to cool off. It was a wonderful day and the dogs slept contentedly in the car on the drive home. The only thing that spoilt the day was the number of people with their dogs off-leash, letting their dogs come running in to our two which undoubtedly caused a commotion that we really could have done without. It really is one of the things that bugs me immensely, especially when a park warden on the summit had already issued warnings to the owners, but as soon as they were out of his sight, the dogs were immediately let off-leash again to run wild on the trails and torment other dogs that WERE on-leash!

Summit of Prairie Mountain and Enjoying the Slushy Snow :-)

Prairie Mountain and Slushy Snow :-)
As we approached the end of August, my mileage started to pick up again and I did a couple of easy runs with the dogs around Fish Creek Park and up on Nose Hill. Unfortunately, at this time, Calgary became affected by smoke from wildfires burning in Washington State. The smell of smoke filled the air and we were getting daily poor air quality warnings. Normally we get a great view of the mountains and downtown from the Auburn Bay dog park, but for what seemed like days on end, we were lucky if we were able to see across the highway to the neighbouring communities, a mere half mile or so away. I still tried to run outside during this time and whilst I was running well, my breathing was a little more laboured and I could certainly feel it in my chest and throat.

That same week, I had a 20k run to do at the weekend and I'd arranged to head out with good friends Kim and Stephanie. Both of these amazing ladies are in training for VK races so both needed lots of steep climbs which meant a trip to the mountains to get some proper climbing in. Due to the smokey conditions, we figured there wasn't much point travelling too far as we wouldn't get the fantastic views we are accustomed to, so we opted to go a little closer to home and headed to Kananaskis, the aim being to head up Wasootch Ridge followed by Prairie View.

Heading out of Calgary, visibility started to improve and whilst there was still a smokey haze, the sun was breaking through and we were catching glimpses of blue sky.

The hike up Wasootch Ridge was certainly steep but the climb was well worth it with such wonderful views from the top. Kim and Steph were so strong and I have no doubt whatsoever that they will have fabulous runs at their upcoming races. I meanwhile wasn't doing so bad and I certainly felt much stronger on the uphills compared to how I used to be thanks to all the mountains runs I've done in recent months.

Summit of Wasootch Peak with Good Friends :-)

Up and Up and Up Wasootch Peak :-)
To the turnaround point and back, it was around 11km, so we still had some distance to do. At the last minute, we decided to head up Mount Baldy instead, so having driven a short distance down the road, we started the climb up our second mountain of the day. This too was a steep climb, and with things warming up a bit - and having already done a good steep climb up Wasootch - my legs were starting to feel it. 

Having never been up Mount Baldy but having heard it mentioned by several friends over the course of time, I was really excited to be heading up yet another mountain, although I didn't know what to expect. There are two routes up - the scramblers route and the hikers route, with us taking the latter to the summit. I would love to have given the scramblers route a go - that adrenalin rush from being scared out of your wits can be extremely addictive - but I was secretly pleased on this occasion that Kim had made the decision to take us up the hikers route. My legs were feeling the climbs and I didn't trust them to lift me over rocks on narrow ledges, and whilst the alternative route was still extremely steep and difficult to get a grip due to loose shale, at least we would only slide down the mountain side if we fell rather than fall off a sheer cliff onto the rocks below!

Having a rest on Mt Baldy (Photo thanks to Kim )
I love Mount Baldy and it is perhaps one of my favourite mountains that I have been up. The trail is challenging and interesting, and part way up the climb, there is a rock couch where we took a breather and had a rest. This was then followed by yet more climbing over rocky slabs with nothing too difficult and I was actually really enjoying myself. Inevitably the views from the top were once again amazing and dramatic and I felt a little pang of sadness that I won't have the opportunity to explore these mountains much more after today with our impending move.

Summit of Mt Baldy (photo thanks to Kim)
The run back down was certainly more hair raising that heading up, and we found ourselves clinging to tree branches and doing the bum shuffle down the mountainside due to the steep gradient. Once we'd mastered the shale, we hit the trees again, and even then, we had to contend with steep slopes and sneaky tree roots that tried to get in the way.

It was an awesome day and my legs certainly felt it, but I was so happy to be out there with friends and exploring new places.

The next day was thankfully a rest day, so I headed over to Airdrie with Wilson and Brandy for lure course practice. I didn't want to miss this as it would likely be the last time we would be attending and I know that the dogs have so much fun "chasing the bunny" around the field. As ever, my two pups did awesome and their enthusiasm showed as they barked for the entire time as they raced around the 800m course. It was great to be there, and great to see them both so happy.

Wilson getting ready to go
Brandy in mid-flow chasing the bunny :-)
Now that we are in September, my training has started to gain momentum as I once again prepare for a race in November. On returning from Colorado last month, I spent many hours trying to decide on what race to do next, undecided on whether to do another marathon before the end of the year, or to stick to the trails and "retire" from marathon running. The problem was I had only done 29 marathons and I felt that it needed "rounding up" - plus I still had the drive and motivation to target one more sub 3 marathon before I "retired". With that in mind, the decision was made - on November 15th, I will be toeing the line of the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon. Vegas is just a 4 to 5 hour drive from Phoenix and with the course being considered fast, it made perfect sense. 

So, with around 10 weeks or so until the race, training has already commenced in earnest to get me in sub 3 hour marathon shape. My body is currently in shock at having to do speed work and strength work again after a few months focusing on the trails, but I'm excited, I'm confident, and I'm ready to give it everything I have. Vegas here I come!




No comments:

Post a Comment