Tuesday 16 September 2014

New things Ahead :-)

The final race of the 5 Peaks Trail Running Series went better than expected and I actually walked away as series champion in both my age group and overall. I won't deny it - other than my single victory at the Glenbow Ranch race a couple of months ago, my best placing was 4th lady and my worst around 17th. I knew that I was leading in my age category, but to win overall was a complete surprise and I know that it's only as a result of the faster ladies not having done enough races to qualify.

On arriving at the Canmore Nordic Centre on Saturday morning, it was extremely misty and definitely on the cool side which suited me immensely as I usually have far better runs in cooler conditions. It was only September, and yet earlier in the week, the whole area including Calgary had been hit by a snow storm, and although daytime temperatures had since recovered, there was still snow on the ground in Canmore making the course even more challenging.


Pre-Race Mist - Canmore Nordic Centre
The route was different than last time with a good mix of steep ups and downs on single and double track trails that included some technical sections where we had to negotiate slippery rocks and tree roots. We were also treated to some wonderful scenery once again whenever we emerged from the trees and encountered fabulous views of Canmore and the Bow Valley below.

The first 3 km seemed to just go straight up hill and whilst I was working hard and making sure I maintained my momentum running up the hills, several ladies started to pass me and I found myself dropping back to around 10th position. I was desperately hoping for some flatter sections or some downhill so that I could make up some ground, but even when things did flatten out, the ladies ahead of me were strong runners and I just couldn't seem to make any headway in catching them.  The good thing was that the course was around 14km and we weren't quite half way, so I was rather hoping that they would falter later in the race and that my endurance would pull me through so I could eventually overhaul them.

It was a beautiful course although the snow did make things a little more tricky. Tree roots were hidden along with rocks on the pathway, and we all found that we were running far more cautiously that normal. Some sections were a mixture of mud and snow with a very steep downhill gradient making any attempts at speeding up near impossible, and yet as the race progressed, I found myself catching and overtaking some of the ladies that had passed me earlier. I knew that I was moving through the field, and the further I ran, the stronger I was feeling. We caught the back runners that were doing the shorter sport event race and that helped me to push harder as I tried to overtake them too. 

I spent a couple of km running with 2 other ladies, desperately trying to put some distance between us, but the conditions underfoot and the narrow trails would not allow it. With other races coming up, I wasn't prepared to risk injury by being bullish on the trails, but as the race progressed and the finish line drew closer, I found that I was starting to pull away and eventually put a good minute or two between us by the time we'd all finished.

I finished feeling pretty good although the legs did feel a little tired, but considering it was less than a week since I'd done the Mount Robson Marathon, I wasn't going to grumble. I finished 4th lady which I was pleased about and my pace was almost a minute faster than last time I raced here which I found reassuring.


Prize Giving - 5 Peaks Trail Series, Canmore 
It took ages for the awards to be presented which took the shine off things a little as many people that had won prizes weren't prepared to wait around - even we were ready to move on after 2 hours of waiting - but as the sun broke through and things really started to warm up, it seemed a shame to rush away with such wonderful views around us. We eventually left some 3 hours later, heading straight for Dennys by the COP for the customary pancake "second" breakfast we treat ourselves to every Saturday afternoon.

The following day I was hoping to do a good long run, but with plans to do my first ever duathlon next weekend, some friends asked if I would like to join them for a practice run. It seemed like a good idea as despite being a novice I still want to be competitive next weekend, so off I went for the planned practice session.

Glady and Michelle have become 2 awesome friends in recent weeks, regularly attending the Mahogany Running Club and doing so well in a lot of races and events they’ve done. Both have done duathlons and triathlons in the past and have tons of experience, so I greatly valued their advice when helping me to prepare for the Blitz Duathlon next week.

Next weekend, the running stages will be on the trails around Station Flats - an area I am becoming extremely familiar with following all the other trail races I’ve done this past couple of months. However, the biking would be on the roads and as that’s where I needed the practice, the plan was to do a 6km road run followed by 23km on the bike, and finishing off with another 4km run.

Crikey o'blimey, was it tough! My bike is a hybrid and isn’t really that heavy – well, at least until you compare it to a competitive road racing bike. I’d only gone 5km on my old faithful before both my glutes and quads started aching and cramping up. I’m not a quitter though and I used my usual technique of singing silly songs to myself just to take the focus from the ridiculous numbness everywhere. I wasn't even going that fast – a maximum of 20km per hour – and yet I was having a ball!

Back at the transition area, we removed cycling gear and set off on our 4km run. My oh my! I felt like a complete beginner again, legs like lead and feet slapping down without any grace or rhythm, and barely managing 5 minute km pace. Thankfully, after almost 2km, I found my usual flow and I found I was loosening up and picking up the pace, finishing our second run at a faster pace than the first – result!

Glady and Michelle were so patient with me, and in their sympathy of me riding a tank for a bike, they've kindly lent me a proper road bike in readiness for next weekend. I’ve given this posh bike a try and have to say that the land speed record is at serious risk of being broken, given how fast I’m now going!  In all seriousness though, the lighter bike will obviously made a huge difference, and hopefully will put me in a good position next weekend.

With going through a phase of trying new things and setting new challenges, I’ve now decided to finally find a running coach again.
For the past 5 years, I have coached myself and whilst I feel that I’ve done ok on my own, I’m getting to the stage where I feel the need for more guidance and advice on how to pursue my own running passion and to become the competitor I was about 5 years ago prior to getting injured. I’ve lost a lot of confidence in my running ability in recent years, and to compensate, I have been more focused on helping others to improve and achieve their goals. Seeing them working so hard and making huge improvements has rekindled that need in me to be successful again, and I genuinely believe that having somebody thinking for me and encouraging me to do key sessions will be a huge help to me. From initial contact with Laura, I’m confident that assuming I avoid injury and illness over the coming months, I will start to feel fitter, stronger and far more confident about my abilities than I have for a long time, and I’ll be ready for some serious competitive racing next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment