Tuesday 22 July 2014

Moving and Luring.....

NOMAD : a person who does not stay long in the same place, a wanderer

ITINERANT : a person who travels from place to place

Yes, we're on the move yet again - or are we? The past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic, not least because huge decisions have once again been looming over us, causing feelings of excitement, nervousness, doubt, uncertainty, happiness and relief,  as well as a whole host of other emotions.

A possibility of relocating has once again arisen - this time to the United States - and whilst no decision has yet been made either way as to whether we start packing up our belongings into cardboard boxes again, it has certainly been on our minds for the past couple of weeks whilst we explore all possibilities and options available to us. In all honesty, we've always had trouble staying in one spot for too long, but whilst I'm open to packing up and being on the move again, I can't really see myself wanting to become an American in the long term - but then life and circumstances have a habit of changing, so never say never eh?!

Inevitably, the news of a possible move south of the border has had some impact on my running, and to some degree, it has helped immensely in helping to decide whether to race Iron Legs 50 miler or Edmonton Marathon next month. With the possibility of having to leave the beautiful Rocky Mountains behind should we decide to move, it will come as no surprise that the scales tipped in favour of Iron Legs.

With my focus now shifting from a fast marathon to a 50 mile trail race with some 20,000ft of climbing, I've revisited my training plans for the next few weeks and am now focusing on running hills, hills and more hills, as well as increasing the mileage to help me to prepare for what could be my last chance to run on mountain trails for a while. The Kananaski 3 Stage Trail Race a couple of weeks ago was certainly a great help in getting me mentally and physically prepared, and with hill reps and back to back long runs now a main feature in my training programme, I'm hoping it will be enough to give me a half decent run on August 16th.

I've also been trying to get out on the trails alot more to help strengthen the legs for the haphazard terrain that comes with trail running, and last weekend I did the 5 Peaks Trail Race at Glenbow Ranch.

I'd never ran at Glenbow Ranch before and whilst it may not have been directly in the mountains, we were still treated to lush green rolling hills and fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. It's certainly a place I intend to go back to along with the furry family, to explore properly and find out more about the history and the area.

 
Glenbow Rance - 5 Peaks Trail Race - before the start

This was the third race in a series of 5 throughout the summer months and last weekend, I had one of my best runs yet, winning the ladies race in a sprint finish by a mere 8 seconds. To be fair, whilst labelled as a trail race at just over 13km, there were stretches of tarmac pathways which did give me the advantage when chasing down the leading lady. I had also gone to the race in the right frame of mind - I had every intention of running hard no matter how much it hurt, so I was feeling competitive and pretty focused which contributed to me having a good run. Admittedly I did walk some of the steeper hill sections, but I was still gaining ground, still overtaking people, and still feeling strong, and with the trails not being particularly technical, it meant that I could increase the pace without being too concerned about tripping on tree roots or loose rock. 

Biding my time at the start of the 5 Peaks Trail Race, Glenbow Ranch

I caught the leading lady with around 1.5km to go, and with a steep climb followed by a downhill finish, I knew that it would come down to sheer willpower and who wanted the victory the most. With just 400m or so remaining, I seized the opportunity and just went for it, legs and lungs burning like crazy, but absolutely determined to get to that finish line first. It was very satisfying knowing that I had to work for it, and it also gave me a little more confidence when thinking about other races I have planned over the coming months.

Besides the racing, I'm also thoroughly enjoying making use of my experience as a qualified UK Athletics Endurance Coach. A few months ago, I volunteered to lead a running group in Mahogany for a mixed ability group of runners, offering training and racing advice where needed, and helping people to improve and gain in confidence where possible. I knew success wouldn’t come overnight, but after weeks of what felt like flogging a dead horse, we are finally getting a steady group of regulars that are meeting up twice a week. It’s fantastic that Andy is also playing a huge part in the new running club, accompanying us on his bike and cycling alongside, offering encouragement and support where needed. The good news is that  numbers are increasing, everybody is so positive, and I'm extremely grateful to be meeting so many wonderful people, some of which are now joining me on my long Sunday runs whilst they prepare for their very first ultra later in the year.

With all the racing and recent commitment to the Mahogany running group, I have been feeling somewhat guilty about the lack of runs with my favourite running partner - Wilson - and of course our other team member, Brandy. In all fairness, the weather this past couple of weeks has been far too hot for little dogs to be trotting along outside, so we have spent alot of time at the local dog park where there are a couple of designated beach areas for dogs to swim in the river. We've had so much fun watching dozens of dogs ducking and diving in the waters, chasing balls, sticks and each other, clearly having a fabulous time playing in the water and cooling off. When we haven’t been at the dog park, we've wandered around the beautiful wetlands area of Mahogany where the dogs have adopted the cool, deep waters of the lake as their own local swimming pool and have been having plenty of fun in the warm evening sunshine.

It was during one of the swimming sessions at the dog park that we got chatting to a lady with 2 Ibizan Hounds that had a remarkable resemblance to Wilson in terms of colour and markings. She was quite impressed with Wilson and suggested making contact with the Foothills Gazehound Club which has regular lure coursing practice sessions in Airdrie on Sunday afternoons throughout the summer months. Always happy to try new things, we made contact with the club and arranged to attend the practice session, seeing it as a perfect opportunity for a bit of doggy bonding in the absence of runs in recent days.

Lure coursing is suitable for any dog although it is more common amongst sight hound breeds such as greyhounds, whippets. lurchers etc. The lure is a plastic bag tied to a remote controlled pulley that drags the bags around a course of anything between 600-1000m, and with sharp turns and jerky movements to mimic the movement of hares and rabbits in the wild, it entices the dogs to give chase. Rather than hunting by smell, the dogs "hunt" by sight, chasing after the lure and having tons of fun in the process. Lure coursing competitions are common for dogs registered with the Kennel Club, but these are usually reserved for the specific sight hound breeds registered for competition and usually pedigrees. Whilst Wilson clearly has whippet in his make-up, there is also a hint of border collie which sadly makes him ineligible for competitions.

Regardless of breed, the Foothills Gazehound Club was extremely welcoming and they hold practices for "sight hounds and friends", so Wilson and Brandy were allowed to take part. At just $5 per dog for at least 2 runs on the course, and with a BBQ and drinks available for attendees, it was certainly value for money and a great excuse for getting outdoors on a Sunday afternoon.
 
Wilson on his first attempt - chasing the lure
 It was Wilson's first attempt at luring, and initially he didn't notice the lure moving ahead of him on his first run, jumping up at me as I ran along with him, trying to get him to spot the lure with lots of exaggerated pointing and high pitched "go go goes" from me. But then he spotted it and he was off! Barking excitedly, running like a true whippet, giving chase and cornering like an expert, even the owners of the purebreds were impressed by Wilson's ability whilst we just glowed with pride.

Watch that little pup go :-D

His second run was even better as he shot off around the field, and from then onwards, every time he saw the lure racing by, he wanted to give chase. It really was a brilliant experience and clearly he was having the time of his life. Even Brandy wanted to get in on the action, and we vowed that next time, we would let her try and maybe run alongside Wilson to encourage her to run too. 

It was fantastic to watch the experienced dogs doing their thing - Greyhounds, Salukis, Borzois, Ibizan Hounds, Whippets - they are truly amazing and it highlighted to me once again just how much I adore and admire dogs, whatever their breed , especially when doing something that is instinctive and in their blood, showing what they are truly capable of when not shut indoors asleep on the sofa!

With being involved in so many different activities in and around Calgary these days, I almost feel guilty about considering a move elsewhere. We've certainly made this City our home and we are so fortunate to have met so many friendly, helpful and considerate people - not just Canadians, but from all over the world. I know that if the move to the States becomes a reality, we will be very sad to leave this wonderful place behind and I don’t know how anywhere else could possibly compare. But Andy and I have always been easy going, adaptable folks and no doubt we can start again elsewhere if that's what is needed - as the old song goes, wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

For now, our hats are firmly laid down in Calgary and we are having the time of our life, living each day to the max and having tons of fun - after all, life is here for living, and you only get out of it what you put in :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment