Wednesday 11 December 2013

Wintry Runs and Streaking :o)

It’s strange the different things that motivate people - for me, it’s having a target race to focus on, where everybody knows about it, and there is no shying away from the training and commitment required if I want to succeed. This year however, a few other things have helped me along the way which probably explains why I feel I’ve had one of my best years of running for a very long time.

At the beginning of January, I joined the Trentham RC “Run 2013” Facebook group and set myself the goal of running 4000km (2,500 miles) by the end of the year to mark my 40th birthday. I’ve been conscious of this goal over the months, keeping a record of all miles logged, and I’m happy to say that with just 3 weeks of the year remaining, I’m currently at 3866km and feeling pretty confident that I will exceed my original target.

Many of the km covered are a result of the ultras I’ve raced this year. I wanted to run well in the 2013 Alberta Ultra Series and having now come to the end, I feel extremely humbled and somewhat surprised to see my name at the top of the ladies competition. Ok, the series may no longer be the grandiose affair it used to be and there are no awards ceremonies these days, but even so, I was really pleased to have exceeded even my own expectations by "winning" the series.

Meanwhile, back in November, I put my name forward to be a Canadian Trail Running Ambassador in conjunction with The North Face. The announcement of the chosen few will be made later this month and whilst I don’t believe for a second that I will be one of the lucky ones, just having that slight possibility has certainly helped in planning races in recent weeks and ensuring I get out and about to explore.

As if that wasn't enough, last weekend we had a call from the Calgary Marathon Organising Committee. Following requests for volunteers, we had put our names forward to accommodate an out-of-town elite athlete for the 2014 event and it looks like we have been shortlisted. A house visit in January and final confirmation in February will seal the deal so to speak, which means I can’t afford to slack off from my running if we’re going to be hosting some super speedy elite from somewhere like the USA or even Africa next year!

I guess even with my usual positive outlook and general upbeat approach to life, I'm not immune from those gloomy days when you feel miserable, antisocial, and just want to hide away from the world.

A couple of weeks ago, I was meant to have been racing a 10km road race followed by 8km cross country an hour or so later. Normally, I would be up for the challenge and raring to go, but in the few days prior, things went a little topsy turvy. For some reason I can't explain, I felt tired, sad and a little cheesed off. Add to that the preliminary signs of a cold and I really was feeling blue.

I've no idea why I felt the way I did - the build up to Christmas and subconsciously thinking about family and old friends, the dark cold winter nights, or perhaps just feeling stale with no big races looming and therefore having lost a bit of direction. Whatever the reason, I decided to avoid both races which is unheard of in my world, but I knew I wouldn't run my best and certainly couldn’t handle the disappointment and frustration of a poor race result.

That same afternoon, I couldn't stand being cooked up indoors any longer, so despite feeling under the weather, I decided to head out for a little run with Wilson. We only did about 10km, but yet again without him even realising it, that little dog helped me to gather my thoughts and work through my gloom. I returned home feeling much happier and far more positive, so much so that  I now have a plan for next year with plenty of awesome races in the pipeline and every intention of upping my training to get in the best possible shape to meet my goals.

Excellent therapy when feeling a bit down in the dupers....
We’re now in December, and with the start of the 3rd Strides Running Store Annual Streak where those that join agree to run at least a mile each day throughout December, there is an element of peer pressure to get out and run every day, especially when you see how well everybody else is doing. Thankfully, I’ve not missed a day yet and have ran 11 days in a row, although running in December in Calgary certainly offers a few challenges from time to time!

Last Monday night and into Tuesday, Calgary was hit by a full on blizzard that lasted well over 24 hours. The wind was howling, the snow was falling heavily, and with drifts of 3-4 feet deep, my attempt at a 15km evening run was cut short after just 7km of what can only be described as high knee lifts for almost an hour whilst trudging through the deep snow. I was beginning to think that the treadmill would have been a much better option despite the tedious boredom and the dark, damp coldness of our garage where the dreaded item is located, but I always find treadmill running a bit of a cop-out, preferring to toughen up and embrace the elements.

Blizzards in Calgary
on Monday evening...

....or the alternative to a cold snowy run outside -
erm.....no thank you
!

The remainder of the week stayed exceedingly cold with temperatures barely rising above -24 even during the day, which meant the lying snow wasn't going anywhere fast. Being more of an evening runner and having a preference for the outdoors, I refused to let the even-lower overnight temperatures stop me from running outside, so  having dressed in several layers of clothing and hidden my face with a balaclava to "protect exposed skin from frostbite within 10 minutes", I hit the dark pathways around Mahogany and Aubern Bay later in the evening. I took Wilson with me a couple of times, suited and booted in his fleecy coat and running booties, and wearing a thermal buff to protect his ears from the cold. His little whiskers froze and he had tiny icicles hanging off them as he ran along, so I had to keep stopping every few minutes to rub his muzzle and remove the ice. I felt so snug and warm in all my winter gear, and yet my balaclava was frozen rigid, ice was forming on my running jacket adding extra weight, my thighs were tingling from the cold despite 2 pairs of thermal running tights, and my eyes became plastered in a not-so-fetching thick, white, clumpy, icy mascara as my exposed eyelashes absorbed the cold.


Post run on a cold winter's night
with Wilson :o)
I've said many times how much I enjoy running around the wetlands, even on a wintry night, so much so that the conditions didn't really bother me. The snow makes things far brighter so there's no need for a head torch, and considering we are only about 20 minutes drive from downtown Calgary, everything is so quiet except for the coyotes howling away across the lakes, hunting for food to curb their hunger, whilst Jack Rabbit flees back and forth, trying to avoid being their next meal. One night as we ran, the air was still and quiet, and as I looked up I could see ice crystals forming in the air, falling delicately down to the ground as they glittered in the orange glow of the nearby streetlights and making them look extremely pretty.

I did manage a run in daylight with Wilson the following weekend, even though we had just had the coldest day of the year with a crazy -39 including the windchill. It was a day made for running - gorgeous blue skies, brilliant white virgin snow, topped off by spectacular views of the mountains that appeared to be much closer to us that day. The air was so fresh and clear, Wilson was happily bounding through the snow drifts, his eyes bright, his tail wagging, and having a lovely shiny black nose. It was a fabulous run that both Wilson and I enjoyed immensely and we could have ran all day had we not got other plans.

We may still be in the city, but it was a
day made for running :o)
 It’s now started to warm up at last and with the next cross country race taking place at the weekend, the shorts and t-shirt may just make an appearance even though things are only just above freezing! I’m really looking forward to the run this time and whilst I’ve no expectations, I’m hoping to run well. With Christmas fast approaching, there are also a few fun runs taking place, and to get into the Christmas spirit, I’ve entered a 10km and a 6km , both on the same day. I certainly won't be taking them too seriously, and my only hope is that my Christmas wish will come true – I would love to be allowed to run both races with Wilson and Brandy to finish off a fantastic year of running. They've been my best running buds throughout the year, regardless of the weather, so it seems only fair that we celebrate things together and spread around some Christmas cheer :o)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post as always Del and I am pleased that our little groups has continued to inspire you although you are so far away! Happy Christmas and enjoy your very wintery runs xxx. K

    ReplyDelete