Monday 22 July 2013

A Moment of Madness!

Ever since I was a wee nipper, I've always been more of a distance runner and when I first joined Stoke AC at the tender age of 11, it was clear that I would never be a sprinter. The shortest distance I ever ran competitively on the track was 800m although even then, I had greater success at the longer distances, namely the 1500m and cross country.

My first race as an adult was the marathon, I did pretty well, and that's probably why it's remained my favourite distance ever since, although over the years, I've found that the longer and further I run, the better I seem to perform. My 10km pace is only 10-15 seconds faster than my marathon pace, which kind of gives some indication as to how well I cope with shorter distances - or not cope as the case may be!

Nowadays, I consider myself more of a marathon/ultra runner, so it begs the question why the hell did I sign up for a 5km race over the weekend? The simple answer is that I like to challenge myself in different ways, I don't like things too easy, and a 5k race would give me a good kick up the arse and get me out of my comfort zone. I also believe that shorter races do benefit my running in the long run - literally - as the slower pace in the longer events feels so much easier and I can usually keep it going for longer.

I've now done probably 4 or 5 5k races in my 30 or so years of running - the others were at the parks races back in good old sunny Stoke during the peak of the City Parks Grand Prix. Looking back through old results, the best I ever ran was 18.45 which even I'm surprised by - although generally I have barely scraped under 20 minutes which goes to show that speed definitely is not my forte.

Last week I'd had a hard week of training with a 15km race, a good rep session plus a 45 minute tempo run. I wouldn't have done quite so much if I'd  known earlier that the MEC race was still going ahead (there was still some doubt about a venue thanks to recent flooding) but come Thursday, a venue was confirmed and having done all the MEC races so far this year, I didn't really want to miss this one. The other reason for doing the race was because my good friend Dawn was also racing and I didn't want to let her down, despite my legs feeling tired. There was the option of a 10k or a half marathon but I didn't want to risk overdoing things and so opted for the 5k instead. Past experience has shown that track runners and university students tend to do the 5k races and they excel at the distance - I certainly wasn't proved wrong this time when I stood on the start line alongside some young whipper snappers looking lean and mean, and fast!


Before the race and Glenmore Reservoir

Knowing that 5k is not normally my chosen distance, I didn't really know how to tackle things. My plan was to just go off fast and try to hold the pace as long as possible - after all, it's only 3 miles. I always remember my old coach Richard O'Keeffe at Trentham RC saying you can get away with going off too fast in a 5k as it's short enough to cope, so I guessed I had nothing to lose as I certainly wasn't expecting a record breaking championship performance!

The race was held at North Glenmore Park and what a glorious morning it was for a run. 200+ runners turned out and the atmosphere as ever was fantastic. Having done so many races around Calgary over the past few months, I'm getting to know folks on the running scene so it was nice to have a chat with a few people prior to the race and to offer encouragement to each other - something that I missed when I first arrived here last year.

Before I had even started the race, I was already a winner having had my bib number chosen in the draw prizes - a $50 voucher for fresh organic food from the local farmers' market was certainly welcome and greatly appreciated.

As soon as the race started, I surprisingly found myself at the front of the field along with 3 other ladies and a few men. The first km felt hard and my Garmin beeped a split of 3.43 - yikes! I'd felt like I was working but wasn't struggling too much, but shortly afterwards, the legs went like lead, and I realised that this was why I avoided 5k races like the plague - my legs were burning with the unfamiliar build up of lactic acid, I was gasping for air, and even my arms felt like they were about to fall off. It really did become a mental battle and all I kept thinking was just keep going for another 800m or so, then we would be turning around and heading back for the finish.

Although my body really was about to fall apart with the unfamiliar exertion, the 2.5km turnaround point came quite quickly and with relief, I started the return leg. At 3km, my watch beeped a 4.33 split - talk about slowing down - but I'd convinced myself that it was a slight downhill back to the finish and my pace picked up as I overtook a couple of the men who had also gone off too fast. One of the ladies had also dropped out by now, so I knew that I was 3rd lady and didn't want to give up that position.


Heading for 3rd lady in a 5k race
The last km went on and on and on, my legs were tightening up and although I could see the finish, it just didn't seem to be getting any closer. It was a great relief to eventually reach that finish line, and although the time was a shocking  20 minutes, surprisingly I had finished 6th overall and 3rd lady. Despite being happy to have survived and come away with a prize, I can safely say that I will NOT be doing another 5k in a hurry any time soon - in fact, probably never again! It sounds a little crazy, but when running for 8 hours or more, the time seems to go much more quickly, and I find that I can run a much longer race and still be able to move at the end. A 5k race really buggered me up - I couldn't walk properly with my jelly legs, and feeling exhausted, I downed 3 cups of energy drink.

Winning formula - Del 3rd in the 5k, Dawn and Cara -
1st in the 10k and half marathon respectively

Once recovered enough, I headed back out onto the course to give Dawn a shout, and was so chuffed and proud to see her powering along in 1st place in the 10k race. She went on to win, whilst coach Don was 3rd chap, and her friend  Cara was victorious in the half marathon. Another friend of mine, Anne Landry, finished 2nd in what was a tough half marathon.

It was certainly a great day for us all even if times were slower due to the tough course and the heat, and with a visit to Denny's afterwards to refuel on blueberry pancakes and strawberries and cream, it was the perfect end to a morning of racing.

Unfortunately, the next MEC race isn't until September and it's likely that I will miss it due to other races and holidays, and so my next target race will be the Edmonton Marathon in 5 weeks time. I'm already getting excited for it and I'm pretty sure that so long as I keep doing the long runs and the rep sessions, I will be ready - I really am looking forward to it and will as ever be giving it my best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment