Friday 7 June 2013

Boost of Confidence :o) - Calgary Marathon

For 8 years in a row, the Potteries Marathon was always the main feature in my race calendar. Being born and bred in Shelton and having been a runner since primary school, I always felt I should support the local race and it was the very first marathon that I ever did back in 1995.
Unfortunately, falling entries and increasing costs resulted in the demise of “The Potts”, and it has since been replaced by a half marathon. I’ve only done the half once, but since its inception I’ve been out supporting the runners as a spectator over the years.
I’ve now been living in Calgary for well over a year, and ever since my arrival, I have felt the urge to support the marathon in my new home city. Unlike the Potts, Calgary is much larger, starting at the Stampede Ground, with 15,000 runners taking part in distances from 5k up to the marathon on the same day. I first ran the race last year and finished in 3.17. It certainly isn’t PB course, and I was way off my best, but I was so impressed with the whole event before, during and after that in 2013, following a pleasing half marathon result earlier in the year, I found myself registering as an elite entrant again for Calgary Marathon.
Having completed almost 30 marathons and some 20+ ultras, I can safely say that the marathon is still my favourite distance and the one in which I feel the most confident.
My build up to the event had gone really well with good consistent training since January and improving race results in recent weeks. With good conditions and if all went to plan, I knew I could run around 3.10 and was quite open about things when asked.
In the days leading up to the marathon, Calgary was hit by heavy persistent rain and cooler temperatures, and certainly in Mahogany where we now live, the roads were flooded. Whilst I don’t mind the rain, I was rather hoping that things would improve by race day but just in case, I headed out for a couple of short runs in the last couple of days just to get used to running in soggy race kit and identify any areas that might rub.
Race day arrived, and we were greeted at the break of dawn by clear skies and fantastic views of both the mountains and downtown Calgary. I was already getting positive vibes and whilst I felt nervous about the race, I was also excited and confident that I would meet my goal.
With thousands of runners lining up on the start line, it was great to still bump into running chums Dawn, Jessica, Eagle and Matt and after a few hugs and wishes of good luck, we were all ready to do business and get out on the course. I don’t know what it is, but as I stood on the start line listening to the Canadian National Anthem prior to the start of the race, I felt a bubble of pride and emotion and was willing everybody to do well – I was ready for this, and despite my paranoia about being number 13, I was still feeling confident.
Having ran the race previously, I knew that the first half was relatively flat through the streets of downtown. It then headed out in to the residential areas where there was a gradual climb from about 10km up to at least the half way point. I was hoping to run between 4.20 and 4.30km splits to hit my target time, but due to the hills later on, I was running much faster in the earlier stages but thankfully still feeling reasonably comfortable.
The first few km are run with the half marathoners, making it difficult not to get dragged along with their faster pace and also to judge your position in the race. The km markers were coming and going quickly and I was well on target at 10km, going through in around 43 minutes. Shortly afterwards, the half marathoners split and the roads became much quieter with fewer runners around me. I saw no ladies anywhere near me, and with no idea of my position in the marathon, I just focused on holding my pace and was pleased that even on the hillier sections, I was still running close to my target pace.
Photo taken by MarathonFoto.com (thank you
Mid-Race at the Calgary Marathon
It was starting to get quite warm and so as I approached each feed station, rather than grabbing a cup of water and trying to drink whilst running, I slowed to a brisk walk to make sure I was taking on enough fluids. 
Eventually the half way point appeared and on checking my watch, I went through in around 93 minutes. Having raced so many marathons in the past, I knew that I usually lost around 3 minutes in the second half and on that basis, I would achieve my sub 3.10 assuming I could keep things going and that things didn’t go pear shaped.
 Shortly afterwards, I saw 2 ladies a couple of hundred yards ahead of me. I could see that they were both tiring but I was still feeling pretty strong and before I knew it, I’d overtaken them. One of them tried to keep with me for the next 3km or so, but she eventually dropped off the pace and I managed to open a gap.
The support out on the course this year was absolutely fantastic, and thanks to all the wonderful friends I’ve met over the past year, it was great to have that personal support and cheering as I ran past.  It was only when I reached around 30km that I had any inkling of my position and I was informed that I was 8th lady. I knew I would never win but I never expected to be in the top 10 as the depth in quality of the ladies field this year was tremendous.
The last few km followed the same road with an out and back section on the course alongside the river. This for me was the hardest part as it just went on and on and on. I only expected a short stretch, but some 15 minutes later, I was still following the same damn stretch of road.  The only thing to take my mind off the monotony of it was watching out for ladies running in the opposite direction as I knew they were ahead of me, but although I had by now overtaken a further 2 ladies moving me into 6th place, I didn’t see any others.
At last, the turnaround point arrived and whilst I knew I had to go back down the same road, I also knew that I was very close to finishing. I kept myself occupied by trying to work out my finishing time and whilst I doubted my calculations, it looked like I was on for around 3.05. More shouts from friends encouraged me moments later, and not long after, I could finally see the Saddledome and knew I was nearly home.
I pushed hard over that last 2km and as the crowds were building, the noise intensified and it spurred me on further.
After the race at Stampede Park, Calgary

Turning the final corner, I could see the finish line just ahead and as I attempted a sprint to the line, the clock was approaching 3.06. I haven’t felt such emotion finishing a marathon since I won Snowdonia back in 2006. I was so happy with my run – especially my even pacing – as my official time was 3.06.21 giving me my first ever negative split for a marathon by about 10 seconds.  I had indeed finished 6th lady and 1st LV40 – things couldn’t have been much better :o)
I’ve done enough races over the years to know that not every race goes to plan. Whilst my performance in the Calgary Marathon is way off my best time wise, I would say that it was the race that I was best prepared for both physically and mentally. I knew what I was capable of, but cautious not to take things for granted, but it all came good on the day simply because I believed in myself and my ability at this point in my life. That may sound big headed, but I truly think that only by being honest with yourself and focusing on your goal will that goal be met. Sometimes we have surprises, sometimes we have disappointments, but whatever happens, we runners just keep going. I’d like to think that my 100k race next weekend goes just as smoothly but I’m not that naïve so I’m just going to get out there and do my best, and the result will be what it will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment