Friday 1 March 2013



The past couple of weeks have been absolutely brilliant, and I’m feeling so positive about my running at the moment. A couple of race victories and some good training sessions are certainly the ticket for putting a spring in my step, and I’m feeling motivated and focused on the months ahead.

The good news is that I’ve rekindled my passion for ultra running, and with the Canadian Rockies as my playground as well as the wonderful city of Calgary, I’m pretty sure that I won’t have any problems finding suitable routes to pound out the miles. I’m also very lucky to have met a great bunch of runners here – in fact, the word “great” doesn't do enough justice, and I guess I’m just grateful to call them my buddies. No doubt over the coming months, we will share our running tales and woes about racing and training as we hit the trails and pavements together.

In terms of race plans, it would appear that I’m subconsciously trying to become some sort of “Iron Maiden” or "Iron Lady" or something, particularly with my choice of events making reference to this rather unattractive metal.

Those who follow my progress will already be aware that I've been competing in the Calgary Road Runners Cross Country Grand Prix during the winter months and that only one race remains out of the 10 race series. Even if I end up crawling around the course next weekend, I’m determined to be a “complete finisher” just so that I can receive the “Iron Person Award”, along with any other runners that have completed all 10 races.

A couple of weeks later, I have a half marathon which I’m hoping to use as an indicator of current fitness, as well as attempting to wake up the old legs and lungs after a few months of plodding around in the snow and ice – I’m sure it will be a shock to the system making my body work beyond it's comfort zone, but it has to be done!

My first 100km race in 2007, where
I became the British 100km Champion
My first major ultra of the year will be the Fast Trax 100km trail race in mid-June – 10 laps of an undulating course at Edmonton’s Goldbar Park. 

It’s almost 6 years since I did my first 100km race, and over two years since I did my last, but I’m hoping that this one will help to prepare me for one of my main goals of the year – the Iron Legs 50 mile mountain / trail race in August.

I’ve done 2 mountain races in my time – the Swiss Alpine Mountain Marathon which was 78km in the Swiss Alps, and the World Trail Running Championships in Connemara, Ireland when I represented the Great Britain team on the trails. I found both of them quite tough races – not in terms of distance but more the terrain - but then living in Stoke-on-Trent wasn’t exactly helpful in preparing me for the mountains of Switzerland and Southern Ireland!


Swiss Alpine Mountain Marathon
2008 (78km)
For Iron Legs however, I have no excuses, especially as it’s a local race on the trails around Bragg Creek – a half hour drive from home – and I’m really excited about doing this one. With approximately 20,000 feet of elevation – and 75% of that being in the first 30 miles or so – it’s certainly going to be a tough one, and one that I need to be better prepared for.



However, my major target for the year is the Iron Horse Ultra – a 100 mile trail race starting in St Paul in Northern Alberta at the beginning of October, with the route being on continuous, undulating trail. St Paul is also home to the first Alien Landing Pad and I’m pretty certain that if I run into any aliens, I will be convinced that I’m hallucinating by the time I’ve finished!



World Trail Running Championships
Connemara 2011 (48 miles)
The Iron Horse Ultra 100 will be my biggest challenge in my running career to date, and I know that it will either make or break me. 

The furthest I’ve ever ran is 100km – this will be 38 miles further over more rugged terrain, and no doubt it will be a physical and mental battle to get to the finish. 

It’s a huge learning curve for me, both in training and preparation terms, but until I try it, I will never know whether it is something that is achievable for me personally. 

I don’t like things to be easy – challenging oneself both mentally and physically makes us stronger individuals and for me it helps to appreciate the more simple things in life – but I know that with the support of Andy, my family, and running friends old and new, I will give it my best shot and hopefully succeed.

I certainly don’t have a training plan as yet, but I’ve started to do my research, and I can already see back to back long runs on the horizon to help build up my  strength and endurance, and to teach my body, mind and soul to keep moving even when they’re all crying out to stop. I also need to work out what food to eat en-route – whilst I do have a soft spot for donuts of any variety, I’m not entirely sure they will be the best source of fuel throughout the run although I’m sure one or two wouldn't go amiss.

I’ll also need to get out on the trails and in the mountains even more to help me get used to the terrain I’ll be running on.

I am nervous and I know there will be times when I feel like giving up, but I’m also excited by the unknown, and I’m looking forward to starting my journey to becoming an “Iron Maiden” by the end of the year. The literal long road starts tomorrow, and with the prospect of a warm sunny day and a couple of hours out on the trails running with friends, I’ve already got some positive vibes – let’s hope they last!


1 comment: