Monday 5 November 2012

Race Ramblings and Winterstart


I've done hundreds of races over the years, so many in fact that some have been forgotten and are buried in the deep dark depths of my mind - it's only when I find an old newspaper clipping or an old black and white photo that the memories of certain races come flooding back. Fortunately most of them have brought feelings of joy, elation and success although there has been the occasional disappointment along the way!

Oh yeh! Used to run for Stoke AC -
National XC Champs 1986 (33rd)
When first starting this blog, I had a feeling that some folks would consider it a bit egotistical and narcissistic - a case of me me me - but they couldn't be further from the truth. I am actually quite a shy person, and I don't particularly like being the centre of attention, but having been pestered by several friends, I finally succumbed to peer pressure and agreed to share my running experiences with those that were interested. I also hoped that maybe others would believe in their dreams and set out to achieve them. However, I created a blog primarily as a record for myself - a place where I could look back and reflect on things from time to time, and try to make sure I don't make the same mistakes again!

It's now November, and I can't believe that I have been calling Calgary my home for almost 8 months. Already I've done a number of races over here to try and get involved in the local running scene, and looking back over my postings in recent months, there are already races and running experiences that I had forgotten about - my wins at the Bow River 10km and the High River 10km earlier in the year, the Calgary Marathon, the Stampede Half and the Millarville Half, and even my first trail race over here at the Canadian Olympic Park where I came away with a unique wooden medal. Without this blog, I would likely forget that I had even taken part in those events, and for that reason alone, I'm pleased that I've kept a record.

The past few weeks have certainly been pretty busy with numerous races - in fact I've competed in 4 events in the past month or so, 3 of which have been cross country events organised by Calgary Road Runners.

The annual Cross Country Grand Prix consists of 10 races at various parks around Calgary, the first of these being at River Park at the end of September. Back then, I was still getting over a miscarriage so I was feeling very unfit, very slow and not particularly confident. The good thing was that nobody knows me in Calgary, so I could take part in the race without any pressure or expectation, and just see how things went.

River Park Classic XC - September 2012
It was a beautiful autumn day for the River Park Classic, quite warm and certainly not the type of weather one would normally expect for cross country. The course, as with all the others, was approximately 8km, and for this race, it involved a couple of good climbs and 2 crossings of the river, whilst runners were treated to some fantastic views of the city from the top of the ridge. I started the race cautiously, not really knowing what to expect, and whilst I felt ok I could certainly tell that I had lost considerable pace and fitness. I ended up finishing about 12th lady and 67th overall - not particularly outstanding, but at least I now had a benchmark for future races, and could gauge any improvement from here onwards.

The second event in the series was a 3-leg relay, this time at Confederation Park. I desperately wanted to complete all 10 races so I could become one of the few to receive the "Iron Person Award", so I spent some time fishing around for other lonesome runners in Calgary to see whether we could muster together a team of 3. Thankfully a chap named Derek and a lovely lady named Lorna were willing to have me on their team, with me running first leg.

I'd had a couple of weeks of more consistent training by the time race 2 came around in October, but the difference was that the weather had turned particularly cold and we'd had some snow. This course was shorter at around 4km but was no less challenging with sharp inclines and 2 crossings of the brook, and of course, the snow made things somewhat slippery. I started more confidently this time, and felt so much stronger running up the hills - the only down side was that the water crossing was absolutely freezing so with toes like blocks of ice, the last half mile or so was run with extremely numb and cold feet. I felt good, I felt strong, in fact I was feeling fantastic and I managed to bring the team home in 23rd place out of 100 or so teams. I gained a lot of confidence from that relay, and it gave me the motivation to train hard and hopefully improve with each race over the next few months.

Confederation Park Relay and a cold day in Calgary
A week or so after the relay event, Calgary had a huge dump of snow accompanied by plummeting temperatures which made running a little more difficult. Refusing to let the weather dictate things, I decided to still run home from work at least 3 times a week - a distance of just over 9 miles if taking the shortest route- and this would ensure that I got a decent run in every day rather than getting home in the dark and ending up doing a boring treadmill run or sitting on my butt with a can't be bothered attitude. 

I'm  probably one of the few people that actually prefers running in the winter months, liking nothing better than putting on my warm running gear and heading outdoors in extreme conditions to battle the elements. The reward? Coming home to a hot bath before relaxing in front of an open log fire with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book, or watching some trash on the telly.

The run home has certainly been helping, and despite it being heavy going underfoot whilst running through Fish Creek Park after work most days this past week or so, I've found it really enjoyable  and have been getting in some decent miles whilst building up a good endurance and stamina base.

Needless to say that when race 3 in the cross country series came around last weekend, I was feeling ready to put myself to the test. The weather was still cold and frosty but I felt prepared with having been training in snowy conditions for the past couple of weeks.

The course at Edworthy Park was perhaps the most enjoyable so far - lots of narrow twisty paths up and down some sharp, steep hills, some flat fast running, and some ducking and diving in the wooded area  overlooking the Bow River. The paths were still covered in snow with some patches of ice and it took considerable skill and balance to make sure you didn't take a nasty fall and go rolling down the steep edge at the side of the ridge.

The narrow paths meant getting tangled up with some of the slower runners at the start and it was difficult to overtake given the course and the conditions, but once at the bottom of the valley, I was able to stride out and overtake a few people. I was once again feeling much stronger, and for once I felt like I was able to pick up the pace although this was still on the snail side for me! Having followed a path a good way down into the valley, there would undoubtedly be a climb back up and when this came, it seemed to go on forever! I managed to run most of the way up and surprisingly for me even overtook a couple of people, but as the gradient became steeper, I finally submitted and resorted to walking about half way up. Being two laps, it meant the same hill twice, and the second time it certainly didn't get any easier!
Edworthy Park XC and 4th lady finish

I finished 52nd overall at Edworthy Park and 4th lady - to say I was chuffed is an understatment. Ok, numbers were probably down compared to the first race, but some of the ladies finishing behind me were way ahead of me about a month ago, so to me that means progress!

With so many cross country and trail races recently, I felt the need to do a road race and having spotted the Banff Winterstart 5 mile night run a few weeks ago, I decided that this was a must. Although it fell on the same day as the cross country, it didn't start until 7 in the evening, so it meant that I could actually compete in both.

Banff is about 90 minutes drive from Calgary, and with the Winterstart race starting in the town, we were already at an altitude of around  5,000 feet. The course is an out and back route that heads out of Banff and up Tunnel Mountain Road - up being the operative word, and having camped at the Tunnel  Mountain Campground several years ago, I was well aware that this would NOT be a flat race! Saying that though, I had actually entered the race for the novelty value rather than chasing a fast time, and with  no street lights and running in pitch black with just a glow stick for company, through an area renowned for the bountiful wildlife (we had already seen some huge elk on the race route an hour or so before hand, and they really were big buggers!), there was no chance that I would even consider going for a PB.

Before the start of the Banff Winterstart
5 mile Night Run
Amazingly, there were 2000 runners in this event and each year it's a sell out. It was certainly an impressive sight with all those runners heading out along the road with the various coloured glow sticks, and yet despite the numbers, it wasn't particularly crowded.

It was a cool, damp and breezy evening, and with being so dark, it was impossible to tell what position I was in. Normally I have a rough idea, but with lots of overtaking by myself and others, I completely lost track of things. It was also impossible to see ahead of me, and I found myself almost colliding with other runners on more than one occasion being unable to see them in the darkness!

Running in the dark gives me the perception of running faster than I really am - I felt like  I was storming along but couldn't see my watch to check whether in reality I was flying or crawling - and I became more reliant on my sense of hearing rather than sight to navigate along the course,  listening out for the footsteps and breathing patterns of different runners.

Before long, we veered right and headed up Tunnel Mountain Road, and all I could see was an orange glow from the glow lamps in the middle of the road, leading runners up the hill. I couldn't actually see the road or the top of the hill where we would turn around and head back, but my legs and my breathing were indicating that we were indeed climbing. I lost all perception of time and became completely transfixed with the orange glow, almost hypnotized by it as I made my way up the hill.

I was shaken from my trance by the sound of runners on the opposite side of the road heading back down the hill, and figured that I must be near the top as it seemed like I had been climbing forever. Sure enough, a few minutes later, I saw the welcome shadows of the marshals in the darkness, and with a little shimmy at the turnaround point, I finally started my decent. I'd been running with people around me but it wasn't particularly crowded, and I figured that I must be in the top 100 as there didn't seem to be that many people ahead of me.  This became even more apparent whilst on the way back down when out of nowhere,  I  was greeted by a steady stream of glow torches heading up the other side of the road for the next mile or so.

Banff Winterstart 5 Mile Night Run - photo of the race by official photographer
Having already raced today I was concerned that I would feel fatigued from the cross country, but in actual fact I was running quite well and feeling good considering. The run back along Banff Avenue was pretty quick despite a strong headwind, and a group of us ran together and picked up the pace. The support was astounding with plenty of people standing at the kerbside as we headed back into town, with plenty of cheering and encouragement taking us all to the finish line.

My time of 36 minutes certainly wouldn't put me in the record books, but I didn't really care - I had thoroughly enjoyed the run and position wise I was 83rd overall. Following the race, there was plenty of food and drink available, including free beer, leading to a fantastic party atmosphere afterwards at the Caribou Lodge Hotel.

It's now November and as the race in Banff has indicated, winter is setting in with shorter days and longer nights. The weather in Calgary has warmed up a little since the weekend and the snow has started to melt, but there is snow once again in the forecast for later this week, and the worst of the winter weather is no doubt still to come. I'm embracing the challenge of running in the winter months, although I suspect that the treadmill will become a good friend over the coming weeks which isn't a prospect I'm looking forward to - at least during the working week anyway.  I'm already yearning for the weekend when I can hit the nearby paths and trails and thankfully, knowing that there are still races taking place despite a potentially hard winter ahead, I still feel motivated to get outside and run. I've also got my eye on a cheeky ultra early in the new year, so there's plenty of things to look forward to.        



1 comment:

  1. great post Del, the races sound amazing tough but amazing. Enjoy Kx

    ReplyDelete