Sunday 9 September 2012

Back to Winning Ways....Well, sort of!

What a difference a month can make. Back in August, I had some bad news that affected me both physically and emotionally, resulting in a couple of DNFs and DNS with my race plans. Not only did my racing stop, but also my training, and it took several days for me to get back on track and find a focus.

I've always found running and training much easier if I have a goal, and so to help regain that motivation for running again, I entered some races with full intentions of racing and training short rather than long like I normally do. For the past couple of weeks, long 2 hour + runs have gone out of the window in favour of shorter tempo runs and a bit of speed work - along with plenty of hills. The longest run I've done is around 10 miles and that's how it's going to stay - at least until the new year when I'll decide on a half marathon target and take things from there. For now though, it's a couple of 10k races and a few 5 milers, including the local cross country series which I'm sure I'm going to find somewhat challenging but thoroughly enjoyable.

Today was my first race back after my health worries - the Canmore Rocky Mountain 10km race, and in short, I loved it! 

A cool morning greeted us in Canmore along with a slight mist in the mountains, but at a minimum altitude of around 4,500 feet, I suppose it was to be expected early on a Sunday morning. To be fair though, the conditions were ideal for running although I had no race plan and just wanted to see where I was at so that I had a benchmark to work from. I had no time in mind and no particular goal except to enjoy and finish the race.

Before the race in Canmore, and feeling pretty chilled out!
The course itself in UK terms would be classed as multi-terrain, with a mix of road, grass and gravel pathways along the Bow River. The elevation gain was minimal which translates as pretty flat, and with being in the stunning Rocky Mountains, it was the perfect opportunity to admire the fantastic views. It really was a beautiful course, and I found myself getting distracted by the wonderful views. I was very surprised therefore, to find myself leading the ladies race for the first couple of miles despite my pace only hovering around 7 minute miling, but I didn't have the confidence to push any harder. When I was overtaken by another lady at approximately 5km, I was reluctant to go with her, preferring to settle for 2nd place rather than risking burnout in a mile or so and finishing much further down the field. 

The route was quite twisty turny and followed the river trail through spectacular woodland scenery shortly after 5km, and then a mile or so later, we rejoined the road and merged with the 5km race runners which caused a little congestion and a bit of dodging around bodies. The views were still spectacular and by now the sun had come out and things were heating up somewhat, but I was feeling pretty relaxed and relatively strong, a feeling that surprised me a little as I was expecting to be struggling.

With about 1km to go, another lady skipped past me and although I wasn't feeling particularly tired, a lack of speed work meant that I didn't have the pace in my legs to pick it up and follow her, and all I could do was watch the gap widening between us as she headed towards to finish line ahead of me.

I crossed the line as 3rd lady and 1st veteran in a little over 43 minutes - 6 minutes off a PB but just 8 seconds off 2nd place, and about a minute behind the winning lady - but I was happy and that's all that mattered :o)

After the race with my unique medal made from recycled glass
On reflection, I had a good solid run all things considered, and whilst those that know me may think it was a poor performance and a shocking time by my standards, I know that I ran well - particularly given I was only a few seconds off one of my better Canadian 10k times set back in July when I was running and training much faster and stronger. Today's race has given me some confidence and I now know that I'm getting back on track. I loved racing again, I enjoyed the course and was in awe of the scenery, I'd enjoyed the camaraderie amongst the runners,  and had the added bonus of coming away with a gold and a bronze medal, neither of which I was expecting.

Next on the agenda is the first of the Cross Country Grand Prix Series here in Calgary on 29th September, which apparently involves getting rather wet due to having to cross a 3-foot deep ford. I have fond memories of both the North Staffs XC league and the Midland Ladies League, but having read the course descriptions for cross country over here - and of course taking place during a Canadian winter - I have a feeling that the UK races are going to seem rather tame in comparison. Without wanting to wish my life away, I'm looking forward to my first Canadian cross country race, and am awaiting the Calgary Road Runners River Park Classic with excitement and anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment