Skip to main content

Icy Silver Springs....and it's raining!

It seems a little strange to see greenery in Calgary during December but the milder temperatures this past week or so has led to pretty much all of the recent snow melting. I'm so used to running indoors this time of year or trudging through deep snow in 5 layers of clothing that it was a refreshing change to be greeted by light rain at today's cross country race at Silver Springs. 
The problem is that despite the warmer temperatures, things still hover around freezing point at night and so pavements and pathways turn into skating rinks by morning which makes it treacherous for running.

Today was no exception and even though it was raining, the course at Silver Springs was pretty much  80% solid ice - even the organisers recommended not doing the race without spikes or some other sort of traction aids - either that or walk around! 

I always enjoy the race at Silver Springs - it usually feels festive with being so close to Christmas and the course is hilly enough to be challenging but not enough to throw you off your rhythm too much. It's also always nice to see friends and other familiar faces, and I have to say that with the long hours I've been working in the new job, I do feel that I have neglected my friends somewhat recently, so it really was a joy to see them :-)

Festive start of Silver Springs XC Race :-)
The good news is that today, I feel as though I had a good race even though I only finished as 4th lady. Yes, the ice was problematic and required a certain degree of caution at times - especially when running along the "cliff edge" overlooking the river below - but it also seemed to suit me better than running in deep, soft snow, and I found that I was running pretty quick for a cross country race. I was also feeling much fitter and stronger than of late, and even the hills weren't causing me any problems today as I just put my head down and literally took them in my stride. I was overtaking people after the first couple of kilometers and I was feeling extremely good.

In all honesty, I was having a personal battle with one of the other ladies that had beaten me by a good minute at the previous two races. She was ahead of me at the start today, but as the race progressed, I eventually passed her and with every stride I started to pull away, growing in confidence as I went. She tried to keep pace with me and I was extremely aware of her just a few metres behind, conscious of her footsteps speeding up every time I attempted to pick up the pace, but I was determined not to let her pass unless she really was prepared to work for it.

We hit the first of several inclines and this would normally be where I would lose a few places, but I pushed hard, trying not to dwell on my breathlessness and the lactic acid building in my legs as I climbed. I was relieved that the other lady didn't pass me, and so I continued to push on and attempted to open the gap even further.

The icy conditions were making it difficult, especially on the downhills, but it was pretty obvious that everybody was being affected and it was a case of seeing who was the bravest to just go for it and trust in their balance. 

I was so concentrated and focused on staying upright that I became oblivious of everything else for a short time, but then I suddenly became very aware of just my own heavy breathing as I tried to maintain the pace. Without looking behind, I sensed that I had dropped my competition, and when I passed a couple of marshalls before the next climb, it was a much longer gap before I heard them pass on their encouragement to those following. I had  a feeling that I had perhaps 100m over the other lady by now, and as we climbed an extremely steep, long hill, I sneaked a glance behind and sure enough, the gap between us was widening. I just needed to get to the top of the hill where after, with less than 2km to go to the finish, I knew I could hold her off unless she started running close to 4 min km pace - not likely given the conditions.

The closer I got to the finish, the more confident I was feeling that this time, I would be at least a minute ahead of her, and yet I kept pushing, kept working hard, up the final hill to the finish line.

Final push to the finish line at Silver Springs XC
I'd finished 4th lady and had ran one of my fastest paced cross country races this season so far. I couldn't breathe properly, but I had at least finished strong and felt as though I had given everything I could today. I was very happy and now feel that the consistent training I've been doing recently, along with all the strength work, is starting to pay off, and I'm looking forward to improving further over the next couple of months. 

Of course I had to celebrate having what I considered to be a good race for once - any excuse for a pumpkin pancake breakfast at Dennys - nom nom nom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Javelina Jangover 50km Night Race

One of the things I love about running is hearing about the success of my many running friends, whether it be over 800m on the track or 100 miles on the trail. It always makes me realise that no matter your ability, no matter how big or small your goals, as runners we all push ourselves in an effort to do our very best. Last weekend my social media feed was alight with endless stories of running success - podium finishes in the Sky Race Series, 100 mile champions, 100km champions, folks running 200 miles, others competing in marathons and half marathons, some people running further or faster than they have before, on road and trail, track and country. It really was amazing to see so many positive and happy stories, and I felt so happy and proud of each and every one that came through that I spent most of the day just smiling. For me, my weekend racing meant staying close to home this time, as I opted to race the Javelina Jangover 50km race which took place at the McDowell Mount...

A trip to Europe - 24-hour World Championships 2025

It's been several weeks now since I competed in the 24-hour World Championships, and looking back, it still feels a little surreal that I was there on the world stage, representing Canada along with some other amazing athletes. The whole experience was incredible, from our arrival in France where we got chatting to athletes from other countries whilst waiting to clear immigration, to the flag parade and opening ceremony, the mealtimes at the pavillion, the Team Canada meetings, wandering around Albi and the French saying how much they loved Canada, to the actual race itself, where world and national records were broken, PRs set, and a whole range of emotions surfaced, not just for myself but for many others that were out on the course too. Whilst the memories are still there, some of the detail has already faded with the passing of time over the past few weeks, but I still wanted to capture things as best I could in this post so that when I read it again in years to come, I can rel...

The Divide 200

The Divide 200 went far better than I expected, and there's no denying that for me personally, it was one of my best races where everything went almost perfectly. I went into the race with no expectations, my only goal being to finish no later than 11.59am on the Saturday. I'll be honest in saying that from the moment I registered, the thought of running 200 miles always seemed within my reach and I didn't find it intimidating. What was intimidating was the elevation gain and the terrain I would be running through - living in Leduc, there was no way I could replicate those long climbs and descents in training, neither could I find somewhere close by that would mimic those rocky, technical mountain trails - running on the Devon trails or in the Edmonton River Valley was the best I could do on a regular basis, and with daily strength sessions that included half an hour of step-ups, I just hoped it would be enough to carry me up and over mountain summits and undulating ridges,...